17 Ways to Get Faster Answers and Save Clicks

by: Catherine Franz

You have already been using the Google search field, or maybe it’s Yahoo’s search field, for years now. And generally you probably have it open ready to go while using other programs. Here are ways you can reduce your number of clicks, and of course, save you time in the process just by using the search field more efficiently.

1.) If you are want to find out more information about a particular book, just type in the book’s title in the search field. Ex: Joe Vitale. You don’t need to go to a book stores web site. Now you have every where the book is talked about, including reviews. And most like the competitive pricing.

2.) If you need to calculate something, simply enter the calculation you’d like done into the search box. Ex: 5*9(sqrt 10)^3=. Or even simple addition. Ex: 5863+91/3= Always end with the equal sign.

3.) One of my favorites is to convert between different units of measurement of height, weight, and volume. Just enter your desired conversion into the search box. Ex: 10.5 cm in inches. My favorite conversion is pixels to inches.

4.) Public data is another fast find. Let’s say you want to find the population figure for your city. Since I live in Arlington, Virginia. I would type into the search field, “population ArlingtonVA.”

5.) As a write, many times I need to find a synonym or dictionary definition fast. Now, there are a lot of places online to find them but they are just too many clicks. Use the search field for this. To find a synonym, you type in the “~” in front of the word. Ex: ~abundance. For the definition, type in the word “define” and then add your word or phrase you want defined. Ex: "Define abundance.”

6.) Spell checker is fast too! Just type in the way you thought it should be spelled into the field. Wha-la, you have the most common spelling information.

This works if you get on the Internet with your iPhone or cell. Now these are really great click savers on a cell phone but can also be used on the desktop.

7.) Let’s say you’re out and you want to know where the closet restaurant is. Type in the type of food followed by the zip code. The last time I was in a unfamiliar place in West Virginia. I didn’t know the zip code, so I walked into a store and asked. Then type “Italian food” + zip code and I had my list. Another time, I typed in the street name, city and state with zip code words after it and I had the zip code. And then I asked for the nearest Pizza Hut.

8.) Using the same style in number 7 above, you can find movies. Type in “movies 22201.”

9.) What if you out looking at homes for sales. You find a street you really like. Input “homes sales, name of street, city and state, or leave out the city and state and just add the zip code if you have it. This is a great time saver if the real estate market moves as fast as it does in New York City.

10.) Is your mother’s plane going to be on time? Type in the airlines, flight number and the airport name. Ex: american airlines 3110 dulles airport.

11.) What if you’re in a foreign country or filling out your reimbursement form at work and you need to know how much one currency equals another. Ex: How many rubbles equal $5.55 or the reverse. To use the built-in currency converter, Simply enter the conversion you’d like done into the search box. Ex: 150 GBP in USD. Or the reverse: Ex: $5.55 USD in GBP. If this is something you need from time to time. Practice it ahead of time so it becomes familiar and you aren’t stressed when you’re in some flea market in Rome trying the conversion.

12.) Another one of my favorites is using the “fill in the blank” feature. The best way to ask a question is to use this feature. You do so by adding an asterisk (*) at the part of the sentence or question that you want finished. Ex: Isaac Newton discovered *. Show your child how to use this so they can do their homework easier.

When I was standing at a statute in Rome and I wanted to know who the guy was. I typed in his name and added the asterisk (*). When I returned to the group and they asked what I had learned, I filled them in. Their mouths dropped. After this, every where I went they wanted to go. Later I gave up my secret and showed them how to use this feature. After that they did all the research which saved me even more time -- talk about delegating (chuckle).

Last week, I used this feature for a sculpture I was sitting next. I had stopped to eat a sandwich outside the building I was going to speak. I used the artist information I learned in less than five minutes as a part of my opening remarks to my speech. I also explained how they could use this. They ate it up.

13.) Before I learned this feature, I would search for the USP web site and locate the tracking number field and then type it in. Now, in the Google search field just type in the package number. This works whether its for UPS, FedEx or USPS.

14.) Need to find a patent information fast. Just type in “patent” + the number.

15.) Need to know what state and/or city an area code belongs to? Just type in the three digit number. And it’s there fast.

16.) To search for web pages with similar content to a given site, type “related:” (notice there’s a colon after the word) followed by the website address. Example: related:www.abundancecenter.com

17.) To know the time in another city, type in “time” and the city.

Now you’ve learned 17 new ways to find more information faster. You are saving many clicks and a lot of time during your day.